Magic: A History
Alchemy to Witchcraft, from the Ice Age to the Present
Embark on a captivating journey through the ages with "Magic: A History: From Alchemy to Witchcraft, from the Ice Age to the Present." This illuminating exploration, guided by an Oxford professor of archaeology, Chris Gosden, delves into the rich tapestry of human belief and engagement with the mystical. From the depths of prehistory to the modern era, this book unveils the enduring thread of magic in human behavior.
Table of Contents:
- What is Magic and Why is It Important?
- The Deep History of Magic (c. 40,000-6000 BCe)
- The Magic of the Cities: Mesopotamia and Egypt (4000-1000 BCe)
- Chinese Magic: Deep Participation (c. 20,000 BCe-present)
- Shamanism and Magic on the Eurasian Steppe (c. 4000 BCe-present)
- Magical Traditions in Prehistoric Europe (10,000-0 BCe)
- Jewish, Greek and Roman Magic (c. 1000 BCe-1000 Ce)
- The Magics of Africa, Australia and the Americas
- Medieval and Modern Magic in Europe (1000 Ce-present)
- Modern and Future Magic
Publisher Marketing: Discover the fascinating history of magic, from alchemy to witchcraft, in "Magic: A History." Join Oxford professor Chris Gosden as he unveils the enduring role of magic in human behavior. Explore its influence on cultures and individuals, from ancient curses to modern quantum physics. This remarkable journey will leave you spellbound.
- Stock: 1
- Weight: 15.00oz
- Dimensions: 8.25in x 5.50in x 1.00in
- ISBN: 1250800153